Tuesday, February 2, 2021

CTKG Myra's Farewell Address

A message from your friends at The Connecticut Democracy Center...

Below is 2020 Connecticut's Kid Governor Myra Stanfield's Farewell Address, given at Connecticut's Old State House on January 22nd for the inauguration of 2021 CTKG Reese Naughton. 

2020 CTKG Myra with 2021 CTKG Reese

Good morning! Thank you to everyone who took the time to tune in to today’s Inauguration from school or from home to show their support for Reese and her Cabinet!

First, I would like to congratulate Reese on her inauguration as the 2021 Kid Governor. Reese, you are such an inspiring, influential role model for 5th graders all over the state. You are going to do amazing things! I am so proud of you, and you’re going to be a great Kid Governor.

And congratulations to the 2021 Cabinet: Claire, Cora, Houda, Myalee, Nathan, and Sameer! You are going to be an amazing Cabinet, and you guys are all going to have so much fun this year!

I would also like to thank all the officials who took time out of their busy schedules to attend this morning, including Lieutenant Governor Bysiewicz, Senator Blumenthal, Congressman Larson, Secretary Merrill, Attorney General Tong, Commissioner Cardona, and State Senator Sampson.

Despite this difficult year, I am proud to say that I accomplished everything I hoped to with my Standing Up for Animals in Need platform and my 3 point plan:

My first goal was to inform 5th graders all across the state about animals in need and animal cruelty. I was able to do this by interviewing someone from the Connecticut Humane Society and then working with the Connecticut Democracy Center to make four educational videos for kids to watch and share.

My second platform point was to encourage schools to fundraise and collect toys, blankets, and other supplies for their local animal shelters to make shelter pets feel loved. Although students were not in school last spring, I was able to encourage donations and fundraisers through my blog. My own school held a dance before COVID and we were able to collect over $600 and food for cats, dogs, and other animals to go to different shelters.

I also worked with the Department of Children and Families and Paws for Kids on a CT Family Day poster contest about showing kindness towards animals in need and to encourage support of shelters.

The last step of my platform was to hold a statewide adoption event! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to have an in-person event due to safety issues. Instead, we organized a Virtual Pet Adoption Meet & Greet. We worked with NBC Connecticut and their Clear the Shelters campaign, the Connecticut Humane Society, and four animal shelters and groups to introduce animals available for adoption. It was so much fun and I got to meet all kinds of pets, people, and more! So many pets were adopted that day and I am so grateful to everyone who participated.

Throughout my term, I attended virtual meetings and events to promote my platform and suggest ways to help animals in shelters feel loved.

I had the honor of meeting with Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz, Senator Richard Blumenthal, Congresswoman Jahana Hayes, and other groups to talk about my platform. I also met with my Cabinet several times, attended a Kid Governors’ Summit with the Kid Governors in Oregon and New Hampshire, and visited six libraries in September for my Virtual Library Circuit.

Like Reese, I also had a Cabinet! Ariana, Daisy, Derek, Dwayne, Kylie, and Lucie all ran on separate platforms and, just like me, had the chance to work on their community issues. We had one in-person meeting and several virtual meetings this year. It was new but we made it work! I am so lucky to have gotten the chance to work with them, share my ideas, and hear their own!

I learned so many new things this year and had many amazing experiences. This would not have been possible without the Kid Governor program and without the exceptional work of the CT Democracy Center’s Staff, my family and my friends.

I would also like to thank my fifth grade teacher Mrs. Heaton and my former school, Norfeldt Elementary School, in West Hartford. Thank you all for supporting me this year. You guys make me feel like I can do anything. Without your support I would not be half the person I am today!

This has been a really tough year for all of us. I know that after I leave the Old State House today, I will continue to stand up for animals in need and I hope you will, too. This is a year I will not forget and I am so excited that Reese and her Cabinet are going to get a chance to experience this. I can say with confidence, you guys are going to have a blast.

Thank you and enjoy the rest of the Inauguration.






No comments:

Post a Comment