Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Relive CTKG Myra's Inauguration!

A message from your friends at The Connecticut Democracy Center...

On Friday, January 17, 2020, Myra Stanfield was sworn in as the 2020 Connecticut's Kid Governor! (CTKG) She received the Oath of Office from Secretary of the State Denise Merrill in front of 230 students, teachers, parents, elected officials, dignitaries, and members of the media in a special ceremony at Connecticut's Old State House in Hartford.

2020 CTKG Myra takes the Oath of Office from Secretary Merrill. 

You can relive the excitement of the Inauguration by watching the livestream of the Ceremony and News Conference. Advance to 1:41:06 to watch CTKG Myra's Inaugural Speech, or read the text of it below! Check out our album of photos from Inauguration Day on Facebook.


Good morning,

Thank you all for coming today!

First, I would like to thank the 5th graders all across the state of Connecticut who voted in the Kid Governor election last fall. 

A couple more people I would like to acknowledge are the other Kid Governor finalists: Ariana (ARE-ee-ah-nuh), Daisy, Derek, Dwayne, Kylie, and Lucie. You all had great platforms and I am super excited to have you in my Cabinet this year! 

Next, I would like to thank my teachers, Mrs. Heaton, and Mrs. Larson They’ve been supportive of me since the beginning of my Kid Governor experience and are great mentors. And thank you so much to my amazing friends, Ali, Alex and Kennedy. Finally, my family members, my moms Sandy, Cindy, and Laurie, my brother Simon, and my sister Carley. They are also a strong support system for me. 

Congratulations to 2019 Kid Governor Ella Briggs on her successful year in office. She has done an incredible job as Kid Governor and I know she will do amazing things in her lifetime.

Thank you to all of the dignitaries that are here today: Governor Lamont, Lieutenant Governor Bysiewicz (Bye-Sue-Witts), Secretary Merrill, Treasurer Wooden, Deputy Attorney General Chapple (Chap-pull), Commissioner of Education Cardona, and Judge Eveleigh (Ev-uh-lee). I am also happy that elected officials from my hometown of West Hartford were able to attend today: Senator Slap, Representative Gilchrest, Representative Verrengia (Verr-en-gee-uh), and Mayor Cantor. 

It is also an honor to have past Kid Governor Jessica Brocksom, whose platform also focused on helping animals, here today.  

My final thank you goes out to The Connecticut Democracy Center, Mr. Cofrancesco,  Ms. Whipple, Mr. Orcutt, and Ms. Gorski for running the Kid Governor program so well, and teaching fifth grade students that their votes matter and that their voices can make a difference.

I ran for Kid Governor because of my love of animals. During my 2020 term, I will work towards accomplishing the three main goals of my platform, Standing Up for Animals in Need.

First, I will inform people about animal cruelty and animals in need. To achieve this point, I will interview an expert on companion animals to learn more about animal cruelty, companion animals that are in need in our state, how humane societies and shelters help them, and what kids like us can do to help these animals. I will share what I learn with 5th graders all across Connecticut. 

Second, I will encourage schools to fundraise and collect toys, blankets and other supplies for their local animal shelters to make shelter pets feel loved. We will have a statewide poster contest for artwork about helping animals, and the winning designs will be shared with schools so they can promote their collections. I will also share tips and advice for planning a collection in your school.

Third, I will hold a statewide adoption event for Connecticut families who are interested in adopting a pet, or who want to show their support for companion animals in need. 

As your new Kid Governor, I will have important conversations with students and adults  all over Connecticut. We will talk about many things concerning animals in need and what differences you can make in a pet’s life just by being kind to them. Every animal deserves to have a safe place to live, with people that love them and treat them with kindness and respect. 

Thank you all for coming today to celebrate my Inauguration and for listening to my goals as your Kid Governor. I hope you will join me this year in STANDING UP for Animals in Need!!



CTKG Myra and her Cabinet at Inauguration Day
Left to Right: Daisy Wimberly, Derek Gaszek, Ariana Moreno, Myra Stanfield, Kylie Nachin, Lucie Martinelli, Dwayne Ceasar

No comments:

Post a Comment