Thursday, April 16, 2020

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Daisy!

Hi, my name is Daisy Wimberly and I was one of seven finalists in the 2019 Connecticut's Kid Governor Statewide Elections. I'm now in the Kid Governor's Cabinet working with 2020 CTKG Myra!

My platform is Pollution Prevention. I chose this platform because one afternoon my mom and I watched a video with a marine team pulling a plastic straw out of a turtle's nose. This video inspired me a lot as pollution was the cause of that situation. I thought it was important to take a stand so innocent sea creatures aren't harmed and we can have an Earth to live on for generations to come.

My three-point plan is:
  1. Place more recycling bins in places such as classrooms, cafeterias, hallways, parks, and more places.
  2. Work with my school's PTO to organize fun events for students to inform them about pollution and how to prevent it.
  3. Find more eco-friendly products for schools.
Since the Statewide Election, I have been jotting down ways I can raise money for the events I have planned. I have also been thinking of ways to inform people about pollution and how to prevent pollution. I will continue to work on my platform by working with my town leaders to get more recycling bins for plastic and paper goods. I will also try to find more eco-safe school supplies.

If you would like to support my platform, you can still save the planet from home! Even though you may be home due to the recent COVID-19 virus, there are still things you can do:

  1. Some days, in place of independent reading, you can read about the effects of pollution on the Earth and come up with ideas to try to decrease pollution in our environment. Check out these articles and videos for inspiration:
    - Humanity Will Find Ways to Adapt to Climate Change
    - Learn About Pollution (Video)
    - Air Pollution 101 (Video)
  2. Ensure that you and your family are recycling. Make sure that your family has a designated bin or bag for recyclables. Sometimes the behavior of one person in the household can change the behavior of everyone.


Source: www.recyclect.com

I would love to hear about what you've learned about pollution and how you plan to make a difference in your community! Email info@KidGovernor.org to tell me about it!

-Daisy Wimberly
John F. Kennedy School
Windsor, CT


No comments:

Post a Comment