Wednesday, April 8, 2020

From the CTKG Cabinet: Meet Kylie!

Hello, my name is Kylie Nachin and I was a final candidate in the 2019 Statewide Election for Connecticut's Kid Governor. Currently, I am in the 2020 CT Kid Governor's Cabinet with CTKG Myra! I am so excited to be in the Cabinet!

I ran on a platform of preventing technology addiction among the youth of our school systems. This platform is an important reminder to give kids alternatives to what they can do besides using excessive and unnecessary technology. My three point plan was:

1. I will create a website with a blog, video, and other information for students that includes alternatives to using technology.
2. I will host a sticker design contest. Students from my school can submit a design to promote my slogan: "Ditch the Game to Build Your Brain."
3. I will provide letters and flyers to students to use in the community to increase awareness of this issue.

As a result of the Statewide Election, I have the chance to persuade people to help with this issue of technology addiction. I will continue to work on my platform, "Ditch the Game to Build Your Brain."

There are many alternatives to using technology. For example: art, music, playing outside, making slime, practice an instrument, taking a walk, exercising, meditating, reading, building something, planting something, rearranging or redecorating your room, writing a letter or postcard, doing a puzzle, riding a bike, etc.

I know we are all facing some real challenges during this virus situation. I hope that you are all staying safe. I also know you need your technology for school work. Now, more than ever, we need to be aware of how long we are all on technology.

If you want to raise awareness of this issue, you can try to limit your use at home or in your community. What do you do when you go off technology? Do you have a favorite sport or activity? How do you encourage others to take a break from technology?

I would love to hear about how you are making a difference about the issue of technology addiction in your own family and community. Email info@KidGovernor.org to tell me about it! You can also visit CT.KidGovernor.org/Cabinet2020 to read about the other cabinet members. I would like to thank Mrs. Temel, Mr. Cofrancesco, all of the cabinet members, and Connecticut's Kid Governor Myra for helping me with this issue.

Remember, "Ditch the Game to Build Your Brain!"

-Kylie Nachin
West Vine Street School
Stonington, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment